If your child learns to keep their teeth in a good condition when they are young, it would become a habit for them and they would take care of their oral hygiene better. Good oral hygiene means overall health. Beautiful and healthy teeth increase your confidence and prevent any pain and eating disorders in kids. Bad habits and poor dental hygiene can lead you or your kid to infection, disease or severe pain.
You can easily make dental hygiene fun for kids with tips we gathered in our oral hygiene London based clinic:
- Go shopping with your kid and let them choose their dental care products. Children love the colour and shapes of children toothbrushes.
- Child toothpaste has a different taste and smell. Let them pick their favourite toothpaste.
- You can read books about dental cavities or oral hygiene tips.
- Use videos and animation to show them how could get worst if they don’t care about their teeth.
- Use a cute timer for them to make sure they brush their teeth at least for 2 minutes.
- You can make a special song for teeth brushing times.
- Instead of rewarding your kid with chocolates and candies, reward them with oral care products.
- Make their dentist visit the best day of their life.
Fluoride is really important
Fluoride is an essential product for your child’s oral health. It has been proven by scientists in many journals and articles to minimise cavities in both children and adults with infant and permanent teeth. Fluoride that is easily found in mouthwashes strengthens teeth by hardening the enamel. The majority of children are exposed to fluoride through their usual drinking water unlike years ago, today people use a better quality of water that is cleared with fluoride. Fluoride is needed to be added to tap water in several places that do have not good quality water plumbing services. In these situations water filters are a good option, they do not remove fluoride and are completely safe to use.
- If the water in your area lacks fluoride, you and your family may need to use an oral fluoride supplement. It is better to consult your doctor to see if your child needs this ki of product too or not. Always have fluoride varnish or a cleaning gel in your house.
- Know the exact amount of fluoride that should use as a medication. Too much fluoride can discolour your child’s teeth and be hazardous to their health. Never leave your kids alone with dental hygiene products, they may eat or drink them, if it happens, go to the emergency clinics as soon as possible.
Brushing and flossing are the basic essentials
Dental hygiene should be better begin as soon as your child is born but never is late for learning. Around the age of one or two, Start using a soft child-size toothbrush or a piece of soft cotton. Brush your child’s teeth with water so gently at least twice a day to get the best result. You can also mix in a little amount of fluoride-free toothpaste once a week. This type of toothpaste is safe for your baby to consume at young ages. When your child becomes old enough, it means four or five years, change their toothpaste to the normal fluoride toothpaste. Use only a little quantity. You can also ask dentists to learn them how to properly clean their teeth.
Your kid will most likely want assistance cleaning in daily oral hygiene London until the age of 7 or 8 years old. Around the age of seven or eight can use a bigger toothbrush, they also experience teeth falling at this age that is very important to learn them it is normal and okay. Brushes should be replaced every 3 to 6 months, it helps to prevent any gum damage. Flossing is also another important part of your child’s oral hygiene plan. Teach them how to floss and for the first days get floss with a handle to make the process much easier.
- You should also teach your child to brush his or her tongue. This can reduce the number of bacteria in the mouth and decrease the chance of tooth cavities.
- Be sure that your child knows to brush his or her teeth before bed after all eating and drinking are done.