Online gaming opens the door for people of all ages and walks of life to make new friends, cherish special moments, and connect with millions of other players around the globe.
We are dedicated to making sure that everyone has a positive, enjoyable, and welcoming experience when playing video games online and interacting with others on our platforms. It’s an effort that calls for ongoing innovation, discussion, and interaction with our community.
As we launch our new Privacy, Account Security, and Online Safety webpage on Playstation.com today, we are continuing our efforts.
This new website aims to inform users about how their personal data is gathered, used, or shared and how to customize their privacy preferences when interacting on the PlayStation Network (PSN).
What services does the new website provide?
Sony Interactive Entertainment wants to give players control over their gaming experience and to make sure they feel empowered. Everything, including who they interact with, how their personal information is used or shared, and who can see it, is covered.
The website serves as a manual, outlining the resources available to our players so they can have the best possible experience. It is divided into three sections that highlight the resources our community has at its disposal.
PlayStation provides resources to make sure your gaming sessions are fun. Your profile settings, the content you share, and many other features are all under your control.
- Your Profile – You have control over how your personal information is gathered, used, or shared with others thanks to your privacy settings. Users can specify, for instance, who they consider to be “friends” and what details they are permitted to view. To customize your experience to the level of privacy that is right for you, you can switch between the different privacy settings.
- Chat & Messaging – Only the players you want to interact with can send you messages. You have the authority to mute or expel anyone who is not welcome from gatherings and parties. Inappropriate content may also be blocked by URL and spam filters.
- Sharing Content- You can broadcast or share video clips with the entire world or just a select group of friends.
- Reporting and Moderating – You have access to a number of tools to report inappropriate behavior, including cheating and offensive in-game chat. Players who act inappropriately or break the PlayStation Code of Conduct can be reported and blocked by users on PS4 or PS5. Each case is reviewed by our team of human moderators, who then take appropriate action, including suspensions that may be either temporary or permanent.
- Parental Controls – There are numerous parental control tools available for PlayStation Family Management for those who are parents or guardians. Play and interact with things that are appropriate for your child’s age to ensure safe gaming for them. For instance, from your console, PC, or smartphone, you can set play time limits, disable chat and messaging, restrict age-rated games and entertainment, set spending limits, and more.
Read More: Best Anime like Attack on Titan
Security for Accounts and Consoles
Keep the details of your console and account hidden behind adjustable layers of security.
PSN account and console security – On your PS4 or PS5 console, you are in charge of who logs in. When logging into your PlayStation account, options like QR code sign-in and Two-step verification, additional passcode protection, and a variety of other tools provide an extra layer of account security.
PlayStation Store Security – Utilize tools like PSN wallet or password authorization at checkout to control your PlayStation Store spending. The family manager is also given the ability to impose spending restrictions through our parental controls.
Frequently asked Questions
How does PlayStation use personal data?
Sony may use your personal information to defend our rights, your interests, those of other users, or those of our partners. We might use your information, for instance, to enforce our terms of service or other relevant terms, to spot fraud and stop abuse, or for auditing, compliance, and legal reasons.
What rights do I have regarding my personal information?
Sony provides all users with the option to view and remove any personal information we may have about them. You might have additional rights in some countries.
What personal information does PlayStation collect from me?
Personal data includes things like your name, email address, and PSN Online ID that can be used to identify you. Additionally, it contains the data that we associate with you, such as the games you play, the items you own, or the actions you take while using our devices and network.
PlayStation gathers personal data when you interact with us, such as during the account creation process, when you use the console or PlayStation App, or when you play a game. For instance, we gather identifiers like your name and email address when you create an account.
PlayStation collects additional information about you when you use its services or play games on a console or the PlayStation App, including your age, the number of trophies you’ve earned, how far you’ve gotten in a game, and the players you’ve faced off against.
When playing on our platforms, Sony Interactive Entertainment wants to make sure players feel empowered and in charge so they can make the game as engaging as possible. Gamers need to understand that they are in control of designing their gaming experience and are best positioned to handle inappropriate behavior. This is an additional step in our ongoing effort to make using our PlayStation platforms a friendly and enjoyable experience for everyone.
Read More: A Basic Guide On Why We Need Blockchain Technology